|Nokia 6 Hands-on and Initial Impression; The Icon Returns?|
Nokia's remarkable comeback has been completed. After much anticipation, the Nokia 6 has been launched in the Philippines. Luckily, we were one of the first few bloggers who finally got a hold of this new gem.
The Nokia 6 was first introduced at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and released in China earlier this month. Opposite to earlier reports that it would be exclusively distributed in China, to our surprise, it managed to escape and reach our shores. And, we didn't have to wait long, since the device has now been unofficially available on Lazada Philippines' website through Hellotronics.
|Nokia 6's Front|
See also: 18.4-Inch Nokia Tablet with Snapdragon 835 Processor Spotted on GFXBench
Found on the top right corner is the Nokia logo, and beside it is the 8-megapixel front snapper. Below the display is the rectangular fingerprint scanner, wedged between two backlit capacitive buttons.
|Nokia 6's Back|
|Nokia 6's Top|
You'll find the 3.5mm headphone jack and single antenna band at the topmost part of the Nokia 6.
|Nokia 6's Bottom|
Meanwhile, at the bottom of the device is the micro-USB port, situated between the main microphone and loudspeaker.
|Nokia 6's Left|
|Nokia 6's Right|
|Nokia 6's Antutu Benchmark Score|
Nokia's latest offering runs on the latest Android 7.0 Nougat, but it comes with a weird custom UI on top that doesn't provide an app drawer. There are no pre-installed Google Services and Play Store app, as well, mainly because it is intended for Chinese market.
|Sample shot using the 16-megapixel rear camera|
|Sample shot using the 8-megapixel selfie camera|
The Nokia 6 is equipped with a 16-megapixel main camera with phase detection autofocus and dual LED flash. Based on the quick snap above, which was taken at around five in the afternoon, you can see that the Nokia 6 struggled a bit with detail. The photo also looked underexposed. The selfie taken using the 8-megapixel front camera, on the other hand, appeared a bit warm.
We're giving our thumbs up to Nokia's first attempt in creating an Android smartphone. But, for now, we can't exactly say whether the Nokia 6 will give contentment or dissatisfaction to many until we properly review the device. There's definitely room for improvement, but we do know that, overall, it is an interesting device. The price may be more expensive than expected, but with the trusted Nokia branding, there's no doubt that many of you would be clamoring to get one of these.
Nokia 6 Specifications:
- Dual Nano SIM, dual standby, supports LTE connectivity
- 5.5-inch IPS FHD (1920x1080) capacitive touchscreen display, Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection
- Dimensions: 154mm x 75.8mm x 8.4mm
- Weight: 169 grams
- Android 7.0 Nougat
- 1.4GHz 64-bit octa core Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 505 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8937 Snapdragon 430 chipset
- 4GB of RAM
- 64GB internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via a micro SD card
- 16MP f/2.0 phase detection auto focus main camera with dual LED flash
- 8MP f/2.0 secondary camera
- Multimedia player
- 3.5mm audio jack
- FM radio (TBC)
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct
- Bluetooth v4.1
- Micro USB 2.0 with OTG function
- Sensors: fingerprint, accelerometer, e-compass, proximity, light, gyroscope
- Battery: 3000mAh Li-Ion, non-removable, supports fast charging
- Color: white
- Price: Php18,590