|BlackBerry Announces DTEK50; SD617 Chipset, Android 6.0, 5.2” 1080p Display, 3GB RAM, 13MP Cam|
BlackBerry was once a name that’s synonymous to popular and essential. The company’s devices were easily a must-have for the enterprise and to every QWERTY fanatics. However, Waterloo isn’t doing so hot in the market right now, and it’s switched to the Android ecosystem is an attempt to reconcile with its fans. Now, the company is releasing the Android-powered DTEK50 to expand its portfolio of new devices.
The DTEK50 features a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. A Qualcomm Snapdragon 617 chipset is also the centerpiece of the device. It comes with a 1.7Ghz quad-core Cortex A-53 CPU and a 1.2GHz quad-core Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 405 GPU, and 3GB of RAM. It also features a 13MP primary shooter and an 8MP secondary shooter, and there’s 2,610mAh of battery powering it up.
See Also: BlackBerry PRIV Launches in the Philippines, BlackBerry's First Android Smartphone
With the specifications listed and the form factor shown, the DTEK50 looks eerily similar to another handset. Actually, though, the device is simply a rebrand of the Alcatel Idol 4. The only difference is that it runs on BlackBerry’s customization of Android rather than Alcatel’s own.
The device will cost $299 at launch, which translates to around Php14,000 when converted to the Philippine currency. It can also be pre-ordered now from BlackBerry’s website.
BlackBerry DTEK50 Specifications:
- GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
- 3G: 850/900/1900/2100MHz
- FDD LTE: B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/17/20/29/30
- Single nano SIM
- 5.2-inch IPS capacitive FHD (1920x1080) touchscreen display, scratch-resistant glass
- Dimensions: 147mm x 72.5mm x 7.4mm
- Weight: 135 grams
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- 64-bit 1.5GHz quad core Cortex-A53 CPU + 1.2GHz quad core Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 405 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8929 Snapdragon 617 chipset
- 3GB of RAM
- 16GB internal storage, expandable up to 256GB via a micro SD card (dedicated slot)
- 13MP f/2.0 auto focus main camera with dual LED flash, 1080p video recording at 30fps
- 8MP f/2.2 secondary camera
- Multimedia player
- FM Radio
- 3.5mm audio jack
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual band
- Micro USB 2.0, OTG-support
- Bluetooth v4.2
- Sensors: accelerometer, light, proximity, hall
- Battery: 2610mAh Li-Ion, non-removable, supports Quick Charge 2.0
- Price: USD299