|Xiaomi Redmi 2 4G Unboxing, Hands-on and Initial Impression|
The Xiaomi Redmi 2 4G was announced earlier this year, but as of this writing, there are still no words from the Chinese company if it will arrive the country or not.
We bought our unit in Taiwan for NT3,799 or about Php5,400, however, the Redmi 2 was not also officially released in that country. This makes the cost of ownership slightly higher than its price in China (699 yuan and India (6,999 rupee), which are about 5K pesos. Still, this is even cheaper than its predecessor, the Xiaomi Redmi 1S, which costs Php5,599 locally.
It still has the same 4.7-inch IPS screen with 720p resolution, but it already lost a lot of weight making it slimmer, compact and lighter. On the inside lies the upgrades, to start with, it has now a better and more powerful 64-bit Snapdragon 410 chipset. The added LTE connectivity and the slightly bigger battery are also most welcome. In addition, it runs on the latest MIUI v.6 with Android 4.4.4 KitKat underneath.
Related: Xiaomi Redmi 1S Review, A Soldier Who Marches
To know about the packaging, physical appearance and more, please kindly check our unboxing video below.
Based on our initial hands-on, it scored more than 20K in Antutu and around 12K in Quadrant, these are way better than 16K and 6K of Redmi 1S on the same benchmarks. In terms of UI navigation, it is generally smooth and snappy.
Related: Xiaomi Mi 3 Unboxing, Preview And Initial Impression
- Dual micro SIM, dual standby, supports LTE
- 4.7-inch IPS HD (1280x720) capacitive touchscreen (10-point) display, Corning Gorilla Glass 2 protection
- Dimensions: 134mm x 67.2mm x 9.4mm
- Weight: 133 grams
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat, MIUI v6
- 1.2GHz 64-bit quad core Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 306 GPU, Qualcomm Snapdragon 410 MSM8916 chipset
- 1GB of RAM
- 8GB internal storage, expandable up to 64GB
- 8MP auto focus main camera with LED flash, 1080p video recording
- 2MP secondary camera
- Multimedia player
- FM Radio
- 3.5mm audio jack
- GPS with A-GPS, GLONASS, Beidou
- WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, WiFi Hotspot, WiFi Direct, Wireless Display
- Micro USB 2.0 with OTG support
- Bluetooth v4.0
- Sensors: accelerometer, light, proximity, compass, gyroscope
- 2200mAh Li-Ion removable battery
- Price: NT3,799
Xiaomi has been slow in releasing their products in the country, so far they only managed to bring in two smartphones, but only one remains available at Lazada. We cannot tell whether the Redmi 2 4G will reach the local market or not, but we do hope it will, especially that it already did in India.